Anghel Leonard

What Do You Do? What is Your Job?

I currently work as a Java Chief Software Architect.

How Did You Get to Where You Are?

I’ve started as a Junior Java Developer 16 years ago. Since then, Ive been a big fan of Java ecosystem. Outside my job, I’m fan of sports, especially tennis, but I like to read and build stuff as well.

How did you come by Payara Server/Micro?

Well, I started paying attention to the events flow when Oracle announced that it will no longer support GlassFish commercial edition. I was using GlassFish commercial and open source editions for most of the projects that I was involved in including authoring books, articles and so on. Then I heard about the Payara project and I started to follow the story. Since then, I’m constantly using and reading posts, articles, twits, and so on about Payara Server/Micro editions.

How Are You Using Payara Server/Payara Micro Now?

I’m using Payara Server as my favorite choice in my books, articles, blogs and so on. Now, I’m using Payara Server in a Spring Boot e-commerce application that it is currently under development. The application will run as a WAR under Payara Server.

Any Plans for Evolving Your Project Further?

Currently, my position allows me to be part of the team that can decide what technologies are used in a project. When it comes to application servers, I’m always having Payara Server on my list as a potential proposal.

What Are The Payara Server/Payara Micro Features You Find Most Useful for Your Project?

I will pick up Hazelcast support, powerful CLI and asadmin recorder service as my favorites.

Anything You’d Like to See in the Payara Platform That Isn’t There Yet?

Well, at the previous questions I picked up three favorites. But, I cannot skip notification service, health check service, CDI remote events, metrics and so on. Basically, I think that Payara team does a great job and if I’d like to see an improvement, it will be maybe a “faster” admin GUI and an intuitive upgrade tool.

What Would you Say to Someone Considering the Payara Platform?

I think that the major misconception here is that Payara Server is just GlassFish but with a different name and a “facelift”. I heard people saying “Oh, Payara Server … I heard about it, isn’t it the GlassFish actually with some small improvements !?”. This is why I prefer to start by saying that Payara Server is an application server derived from GlassFish as an open source project with full production capabilities ready to go and 24/7 support.

Do You Want to Share Any of Your Work With the Community?

Beside the above links, I can point out the JSF 2.3 repo that contains applications tested under Payara Server. The Java-EE repo applications were tested on Payara Server as well.